Monday, December 6, 2010

A Day Off

Nothing was scheduled for today, except for Dr. Lord giving us some extra office hours so we could talk to him.  I did, but as I had come to expect as the day progressed, he had no easy answers.  But I am getting ahead of myself here.  Let's see, things of note that happened...

I forgot to mention earlier that we received an email from our missing Scion.  He's apparently having an interesting sort of last minute education from his divine father before he will make it here.  His name is Sean Regan, and from the email he seems like a nice guy.  But until I know him better, he's mostly a mystery.

I talked to Jahiera today about maybe establishing a secret language for the group.  Of course we'd have to check to see if the others are interested, but Jahiera seemed intrigued with the idea.  She was thinking of a dead language like Minoan, though I was thinking more of a rare one like Chickasaw or maybe an entirely made up language.  Anyway, Jahiera understands languages better than I do, so I'll let her think of what might work best.  Though now I probably should survey my fellow Scions and see which ones, if any besides Jahiera and I, like the idea of having a secret language.

I also talked to Dave more today, he's interested in all of us working together with his bikers on all of their bikes.  I am definitely looking forward to this!  We also talked about adding "extras" to the bikes.  Dave was thinking that being able to shoot out cables like in that Batman movie would be useful.  Based on the movie, I'd hope he doesn't plan to use it like that as that sort of maneuvering seems beyond the skill of real life bikers.  Still, the idea does have merit and may be able to pin down a large vehicle or a large creature.  I'll have to start crunching numbers on that and see how feasible it is.

My people skills suck, but at least I am sure I did the right thing when I took a walk with Gabby and Jahiera this morning.  I was there with about half the other Scions, all gathered around for breakfast.  I was explaining my confusion about things, or I guess really I was explaining how narrow minded and naive I had been.  At any rate, Gabby sort of dropped a bombshell on me when she responded to my ramblings by mentioning how she had tried to kill herself at least three times.  I'm dense at people stuff, but I figured that was important and had to mean something, even though it's hours later and I'm still not quite sure why she said that to all of us.

Anyway, I guess Jahiera and I were both concerned about Gabby, and we decided to take the conversation elsewhere.  Fortunately, Gabby isn't suicidal anymore.  Her childhood sounds pretty rough, but I think it's also why she ended up as strong as she is.  Still, I wish I understood people better.  Based on the psych stuff I've read, she pretty much can't be mentally healthy.  Except of course she's a Scion, and mortal rules don't exactly apply to us.  I'll just have to save this for a later day, both for when I understand human nature better and know more about Gabby.  For now though, I think the best thing I can do for her is be her friend, so I'll focus on that.  That should be pretty easy, as I already like her.

We talked more about my problems too, but, well, I don't know why I was so naive about this issue.  It's something I'll just have to resolve in time, which is pretty much the advice everyone - including Dr. Lord - gave me.  Though Dr. Lord did suggest delving into all mythology texts I can get my hands on, plus to pay attention in his labs.  Like I would do other than pay attention, sheesh!

Getting back to our forest talk, one really great thing happened with the three of us!  I was telling the ladies how there are legends of martial art styles and techniques being developed from animals, and that I hoped they'd let me practice with their big kitty cats so we could learn from each other.  Both the ladies were quite enthusiastic about this, and Jahiera wants to join in as well.  This sounds so fun!  Of course I hope their kitties will want to do it as much as the rest of us.  But Gabby says Tepini doesn't get enough exercise, and I think Miyet likes me already (or at least she likes me petting her).  For now, we probably can practice in the woods, but it would be nice to have a special room for ourselves.  And that makes me think what else we could do and who else would like to participate.  Maybe I could set up something like the early versions of the Danger Room in the X-Men comics.  That would be totally awesome!

Unfortunately Jahiera had to dash off, because she was late for some archery practice.  But Gabby and I chatted a little bit longer before returning to the dorm.  Gabby demonstrated her gymnastics ability, she looks quite amazing.  We also found out we're both interested in flying.  Someday...

OK, only one more things to note.  When I tried to talk to Dr. Lord about Bob the archer, Dr. Lord said he had NO idea who that guy is.  That makes a lot of sense since Dr. Lord is new and Bob is - as far as we know - just a popular mortal on campus.  But part of me found that strange since Dr. Lord seems to know everything that is going on with us and with Jahiera and her thing of archery - well, I think Bob and Jahiera will be spending a lot of time together.  Plus Bob might have insulted Ren.  So part of me was puzzled that he never heard of the guy.  So I found Gabby later that evening and explained my suspicions to her.  I feel like I am acting paranoid, but this just seems a little too weird to me.  Gabby said she'd look into him, and I doubt Bob will be able to hide anything from Gabby, and I have to admit I am relieved now that I know Gabby is on the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment